Faded Self

This last week we had the opportunity of being the “missionaries at camp” for high school week at Camp of the Good Shepherd. The person who was lined up to lead worship also got sick last minute, so I was recruited to lead worship for the week as well. I grew up going to weekend camps and other activities at this camp (although back then it was called Camp of the Risen Son), so it was a little surreal being on the campgrounds as an adult. It was interesting being on “the other side of things.” Instead of being a camper, I was the one speaking into the students’ lives and encouraging them to love Jesus and share their faith.

Camp of the Good Shepherd is owned and operated by a parent mission organization called “For God’s Children International”. They are a mission’s organization that works primarily in the countries of Romania and Moldova. It was great meeting people who work for this great organization and see their heart for loving people and telling them about Jesus.

Throughout this process of support raising, I think God has been teaching me a very important lesson. We are just a small part of what He is doing. All over the world there are Christians worshiping together, serving, and telling others about Jesus. When we will be serving and working in Germany, we will be supported by the generosity and faithfulness of many. We are just a small part of what God is doing. The question I keep asking myself is… will I be faithful to do what He has called me to do?
In 1 Corinthians 12:27 Paul writes, “Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it” Earlier in his letter Paul writes, “I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow” (1 Corinthians 3:6). I am both humbled and encouraged by what God has been teaching me through this.

First off: it is not all about me. It is easy to fall into the pride trap. There are times where I feel like everything depends on me. But the fact is: I am only one part of the body. I need, first and foremost, the Holy Spirit to accomplish anything of value. And I also need my brothers and sisters in Christ. On my own I will only get so far. I NEED others to accomplish this mission.

It is not all about me, which can be humbling, but then it is also encouraging when I realize that: it is also not all on me. I get to be a part of something so much greater. I get to be a part of what God is doing. There are times in ministry where things can be so overwhelming (budgets are daunting, there are so many hurting people, there are countless who need to hear the good news of Jesus, and on top of all your family needs some of your time)! I have to admit, I tend to be the type of person who tries to handle everything myself…. But God has been reminding me that it is not all up to me. It is about what the Holy Spirit is doing through believers everywhere. Working together, the church will change this world. Working together, we will reach people for Jesus. I am just a small part. I am happy, and honored, to serve in whatever capacity I am capable to.

So to all of my brothers and sisters in Christ, take heart, you are not alone.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grafting and as it relates to missions

More than "just living"